Saturday, December 31, 2011

HBRC Day 16 -Top 11 of 2011

Today we would like you to think about all the books you've read during 2011 and come up with a list of your 11 favorites.  We want you to create a post titled "Top 11 of 2011" kind of like our examples down below. Be sure to include pictures of the covers. You can even give us a reason why you enjoyed your choices. BUT, we only want you to share 10.  Your #1 book will be used for tomorrow's challenge. If you don't know why, look back at the previous posts.  We gave you a heads up a couple of days ago. Be sure to link your post using the Simply Linked below.

Julie's Top 11:

11. Skeleton Creek: The Raven by Patrick Carman  

I've already said that I am a series fan. I love this series. You get to read the book and then go online and watch video's of the characters in the book as you go along. Very fun and interactive. 










10. After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick
I've come to the conclusion that anything Jordan Sonnenblick writes will be my favorite. He is so funny, yet deals with emotional situations with tender care. This book was no exception. Loved it!











9. Scorpia Rising by Anthony Horowitz
The final Alex Rider book in the series. And it was GREAT! Although it managed to tick me off with the ending!











8. Dancing on Glass by Pamela Ewen
This was one of those stories that stayed with me long after I finished it. 











7. There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

I love Jenny B. Jones' writing! She has a great sense on humor along with writing very deep, heart-felt novels. One of my favorite authors!










6. Pompeii: City on Fire by T.L. Higley
Along with a great storyline this book is filled with wonderful historical facts about Pompeii. T.L. Higley has a writing style that grabs you even when you don't think you will enjoy the particular genre she is writing. 









5. Rot & Ruin and Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry
Zombies! Enough said! Okay, I never thought I would be into a zombie series but yep, I'm a fan and anxiously awaiting the 3rd book in the series.






4. Forever by Maggie Steifvater
The finale of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. So exciting! 












3. Home For The Holidays by Heather Vogel Frederick
I love love love this series! Yes, it is totally juvenile, and sweet with very little angst, but I totally love it! Every stinkin one of them!!









 2. The Guardian Duke by Jamie Carie
I loved the beginning of this series! This is my new favorite Jamie Carie book. The cliffhanger was amazing! And who can resist this cover? 










1. ?????? by ??????


What will it be? Come back tomorrow and see.











 



Karin's Top 11: 

First of all, I'd like to say that this was very hard this year.  My list is by no means organized by what I think is the best in literary quality.  I chose the order based on enjoyment alone.  All of these books received 5 Glasses on my blog and the Stay Awake Award.  I didn't want to put them down.

11. WONDERSTRUCK by Brian Selznick

This is a beautiful book.  Not only is it enjoyable to read, but it is wonderful to look at.  Another thing I like about this book is the fact that it includes a deaf character and incorporates sign language. (I was a sign language interpreter in the public schools before I became a teacher.)








10. A MONSTER CALLS by Patrick Ness

In terms of powerful books, this should be #1 and I really did enjoy it, but....I was a blubbering pile of goo when I finished. It is hard to even describe how heart-wrenching this book is. Like I said, this was so hard.  This book was in multiple spots while I was building the list. 







9. SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT by Derek Landy

So good!  This book has it all.  It is a great mystery, it has suspense and action, it has magic, and best of all, it has hysterical dialogue. I love Skulduggery's sense of humor and his side-kick, Stephanie, is just as witty. I listened to these on audio.  I highly recommend them.

8. BUMPED by Megan McCafferty 

This one is just out there.  I loved it.  The wordplay is great and the storyline is interesting (in a creepy way). If you like Dystopian books you ought to give this one a try.











7. DUST & DECAY by Jonathan Maberry 

I love zombies!! ROT & RUIN was great and this one (the sequel) is even better. I can't wait for #3, FLESH & BONE, which is coming out sometime in 2012.








6. DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth 

I read this one twice during the year.  I read it once, but the second time I listened to it on audio.  I liked it both times. It has action and adventure, family issues, and a budding love story. If you are a fan of HUNGER GAMES you'd be safe giving this a try.








5. ASHFALL by Mike Mullin 

As a child I used to play "survival."  I know, sounds strange, but I was an only child and didn't always have a sibling around to entertain me. My bed would either be a boat or an island and I'd pile all of my precious items I couldn't live without (usually my stuffed animals) on the bed with me and we'd stay there pretending sharks or something were about to devour us.  Looking back, maybe this was my way of getting out of house work or something. "Come on, Mom. You know I can't leave the ship!" Anyway, I love survival stories and ASHFALL was a good one.  



4. BEAUTY QUEENS by Libba Bray

Julie is so going to laugh when she sees this.  She couldn't even get through this book. Not only did I get through it, but I read it twice. Once really reading and once on audio.  Now, if you have the opportunity to listen to only one audio book in your life, PLEASE choose this one!  Libba Bray reads it herself and it is absolutely HYSTERICAL.  I can't stress enough how great this audio is! Here are just a few things you'll get from the book: beauty queens, pirates, evil corporations, treason, Sparkle Ponies, love, oh the list goes on and on.  Come on.  The chick on the cover is wearing a bandoleer made of lipstick. How can you go wrong. (Those of you offended by me using the word chick just need to lighten up.)


3. CINDER by Marissa Meyer 


Cyborg Cinderella, oh how I love thee. This was a book I read in one sitting. It has love and everything, but this is a great retelling of a fairy tale where the heroine is a strong and smart girl. SO GOOD.




2. SHATTER ME by Taherah Mafi 


WOW! This is one heck of a romance with tons of beautiful language thrown in. This author has metaphor and similes down pat. This book is being compared to the X-Men, so if you like that kind of thing you would enjoy it for more than just the romance too.






1, ?????? by ??????


What will it be? Come back tomorrow and see.
 













4 comments:

  1. I loved reading both of your posts. I am going to go mark many on my Goodreads "to read" shelf so that I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went ahead and did all 11 because I'm not sure if I'll be able to do tomorrow's challenge. There are some ones I've been wanting to read on your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I came by your post earlier, and I didn't see how you both had your books listed from bottom to top. Mine are listed from top to bottom! I did NOT include the photos of the books, which I am doing right now!! My computer keeps crashing on me!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL have the book cover up! I'm going to add 8, publish it, then go back and finish the rest! This 'thing' is driving me crazy!!! No, I'm NOT petting it and calling it nice names right now!!! LOL!!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some of these books on my to-read list already, but it looks like I need to add more!

    ReplyDelete

Julie and Karin are anxious to hear what you have to say. Leave a comment.

 
BLOG DESIGN © DESIGNS BY BARBARA ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.