Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ELPHAME'S CHOICE by P.C. Cast - REVIEW


 Elphame, a satyr goddess born to a human mother and centaur father, has never felt a part of life.  She has been worshipped and taken care of to the point no one feels comfortable enough with her to be free to speak to her like a friend.  She has always been on a pedestal in the eyes of the people in Partholon.
Elphame decides it is time to strike out on her own.  Along with her brother, she travels across the country to restore the long abandoned MacCallan Castle.  A century has passed since the terrible Fomorian battle that killed many of Elphame’s clansman.  While tales of ghosts keep most people away, Elphame feels the pull of the castle and knows deep in her soul she is meant to restore it and claim the castle as her own.  She is meant to become The MacCallan, the leader of the clan.
Love is something Elphame assumed she would never experience.  Who would want to love someone so clearly not human.  She loves her strong hoofed legs, but at the same time is aware how they set her apart from everyone around her.  She is completely caught off guard when she meets Lochlan, a hybrid Fomorian who claims to be her destiny.  But, what are Lochlan’s true intentions?  Can she trust the well-being of her clan for a chance at love?
ELPHAME’S CHOICE is a great romance.  Anyone who enjoys reading about days of warriors and castles will find the setting appealing and Elphame is a very strong character and wonderful role model for girl readers.  My major concern is this – I don’t think this should be marketed as a young adult novel.  I found my copy in the young adult section at Borders and as you can see from the publisher information, it is being rereleased by Harlequin Teen.  P.C. Cast first published this book in 2004 under Harlequin’s Luna imprint.  I realize Harlequin didn’t have a teen imprint at that time, but…. ELPHAME’S CHOICE contains clearly spelled out sex scenes with typical “romance” language.  I’m totally for allowing people (including teens) reading what they want to, but I think labeling it young adult and putting it on the young adult shelf is a little misleading.
Has anyone else read this yet?  If so, tell me what you think.














3 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the misleading labeling. I was surprised to find that particular type of wording in a young adult book.

    As for the rest of the novel, I didn't enjoy it quite as much. I found the prologue too long and unnecessary. And I found the first quarter of the book lacked conflict. It felt to me like 100 pages of Snow White cleaning the dwarf's cottage. =)I think I would have enjoyed it more had it been shorter, with more plot points and less excessive detail.

    Thank you so much for sharing your review. I love this website. Keep up the great work.

    KrysteyBelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story. Yikes, though, that's not too good that it's a bit misleading regarding the age...especially for those younger YA readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave you a blog award! Here it is: http://thedoortowonderland.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-got-blog-award.html.

    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete

Julie and Karin are anxious to hear what you have to say. Leave a comment.

 
BLOG DESIGN © DESIGNS BY BARBARA ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.